Finding the right lawyer is the most important step you can take toward winning a legal case and this does not have to be a hard task. Make sure to take time with the research. Try and find a lawyer that has had experience with your specific issue before and that you will get on with personally. If you take the time to find the right lawyer, it will be worth it as they may be more likely to help you win your case.
Decide what type of lawyer you need
It is important to find a lawyer who has specialised expertise in the area that your case involves. It would be a good idea to find a lawyer that is familiar with the laws and courts of the area in which you are located. This will help your lawyer represent your interests to the best of their abilities with your case. There are many practice areas, such as bankruptcy law, criminal law, family law, employment law etc.
Review listings of Lawyers online
There are lots of websites online that offer free reviews of different lawyers and their businesses. There are also websites that specifically focus on helping low-income families or individuals on finding the right lawyer. Make sure to visit different sites to cross-reference reviews as this will help you with any sort of bias reviews that you may find.
Recommended lawyers from friends or family
Talk to your friends or family that have used a lawyer to find out who they hired, for what type of case and if they were pleased with the outcome. This will help with your decision making if they can recommend the lawyer or not.
Make a list
Draw up a list of potential lawyers that you have researched in your area. Include the lawyers name and address, the phone number and also the web address. This way you will be organised with your search going forward.
- Review every lawyer’s website to find out information on what type of law; he or she practices.
- Check what sort of background information you can find on the lawyer, such what law school and the areas they specialise in.
- Research some general information about the type of case you need help with.
- Most lawyers that have websites should provide information on each lawyer that is working for the business. Check out each one of their work history and educational background.
- Try and look for a lawyer that has at least two to five years of experience practising the type of law that you are looking for help with. Usually you should find a lawyer that is currently practising in your type of case.
- Lots of lawyers are now on social media such as face book etc. Check out their profi
Arrange an appointment
Make an appointment with the lawyers you have chosen from your list of research. Most lawyers do not charge for consultation appointments. If so they may charge a small fee but make sure for certain if you are going to be charged or not. Do your research beforehand. Also if you do not live in the same area as the lawyer, you may be able to organise a phone conversation instead of a personal meeting. You will probably want your lawyer to appear with you for your court appearance, so it’s probably best to find a local one in your area who will represent you.
Hope this will help with your research on finding the right lawyer for you and your case. Remember, researching and gathering lots of information is the key to do this.